Be working towards a bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, English, or communications.
Number of Positions:
Job Posting Overview
Mobility Quotient (MQ) is a digital agency that creates award-winning apps, websites and software solutions for our international list of clients. MQ has been in business for over 10 years. We have worked with Venture Capital, Automotive, Healthcare, Media and many other verticals to create technical solutions that transform how our clients succeed. We also have a suite of in-house projects including JustBeer, JustWine and SokoLocal—which are the brands we are currently hiring for.
We are looking for a Journalism student, for a 6-month paid internship. This individual will work primarily on three of our in-house platforms creating and distributing online editorial content within local retail and beer/wine topics. We are looking for someone with a passion for writing valuable and informative content that is well researched but approachable. If you’re interested in developing your career in online media and publishing, this may be the position for you.
**Note: As this position is largely a writing and research role; a deep understanding of wine, beer, retail or software is not a requirement and preference will be given to those with the most applicable journalism experience.
- Follow a monthly content calendar and work with our content and marketing team to produce interesting editorial articles and stories.
- Coordinate with content team on daily, weekly, and monthly targets to balance structured data entry with editorial content. (Some data entry required)
- The ideal candidate will be a strong writer, creative and passionate – not just about their work, but also about creating content that fosters audience growth and engagement.
- Ability to self-manage projects with attention to detail, while balancing shifting priorities and deadlines.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Create engaging, catchy and unique content around beer, wine, and retail topics.
- Meet weekly targets while updating and following the content calendars planned for our digital products (JustBeer, JustWine, SokoLocal).
- Use strong creative writing skills to break down, organize, and position complex topics into concise conversational copy.
- Use search engine optimization (SEO) to ensure articles are positioned correctly for high search ranking. **We’ll help you develop this skill**
- Monitor trending topics and breaking news for content opportunities.
- Proofread, update, and edit articles from past content writers, freelancers and community/guest submissions.
- Research and verify information within submitted articles and prepare them for publication.
- Use WordPress and our custom CMS to edit content, add images, and format article layouts.
- Work on special projects, as needed, such as assist with or proof basic ads, flyers, brochures, invitations, etc.
Education & Experience
- Be working towards a bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, English, or communications.
- Familiarity with desktop applications and authoring software (such as Microsoft Office Suite, Google Docs, Hootsuite & Adobe Photoshop are an asset)
- Comfortable with cold calling and fast pace of digital publishing.
- A basic understanding of on-site SEO would be an asset.
- An interest in wine, beer, or food would be an asset.
To apply, please submit a résumé, cover letter, and 3 work samples (articles can either be linked in your cover letter or included as additional pages with your resume).
In your cover letter, please be sure to address the following questions:
- What appeals to you about working with MQ?
- What’s your approach to editing?
- Pitch 3 catchy title ideas total (just the titles!) that you feel could fit any of the JustBeer, JustWine or SokoLocal sites.
Have a portfolio? Applicants can showcase any additional samples of work from their portfolio during the interview phase.
Applications for this position must be submitted to email@example.com with the subject line 'Application for Journalist/Writer Internship'.
Mobility Quotient (MQ) is a full-service digital agency based in Calgary, Alberta. We provide digital strategy, software development, marketing and design services to innovate and solve the business challenges of our global client base. Operating for over 10 years, our clients come from various industries including automotive, retail, media, publishing, tech and finance. Our recipe for success is simple: we work diligently with our clients to understand their business needs, challenges and goals. Then we create a best-fit strategy that works within their designated budget and act to enhance their revenue opportunities, accelerate project implementation, curate elegant solutions to complex problems, and most importantly to achieve their goals. We offer our skills and services to businesses who desire progress, efficiency and change. We design. We code. We build and support digital brands.
Our team has worked on a variety of digital projects, ranging from small WordPress websites for start-up businesses to large-scale, connected digital ecosystems (comprised of massive websites, mobile apps, numerous properties, multiple third-party platforms, and custom-built features) for global digital publishers who serve millions of daily users. Our notable client base includes two widely known digital publishers which serve millions of daily readers in the United States: A $7 billion-dollar global automotive leader whose executive team required fast-tracked workflow optimization and mobile development, and a New York-based private equity team who relied on MQ for their three largest acquisitions and subsequent profitable turnarounds. Our technical proficiency, along with our ability to integrate with existing development processes and technologies, is what sets MQ apart from many other agencies. Our commitment, dedication and experience are why management and development teams grow to trust and rely on us to transform their business.
Incorporated in 2009, Mobility Quotient has been helping corporate teams and leaders achieve success through a solution-oriented approach to technology & software development. From their first client in early 2010 to the launch of in-house products like JustBeer, MQ has serviced over 80 clients, worked collaboratively with over five fortune-100 companies and developed multiple websites and apps which currently serves over 75 million monthly users around the world.