A hyper-local news platform, Patch provides news and local updates to the 903 communities it serves. From breaking news updates and local stories to events and business listings, Patch is a platform that connects people.
Tech Aquisition & Pivot
In 2014, MQ rebuilt the Patch.com platform in just six-months. Patch was acquired by Hale Global from AOL in 2014, and MQ played an integral role in migrating and revamping the existing Patch architecture and assets.
Project Development Included
- Rebuilding entire network of 903 sites migrated & maintained across the US (global expansion in progress)
- Creating new Patent-Pending user generated content (UGC) moderation flow
- Migrating from 96 AOL servers to 15 AWS servers, making Patch cloud enabled and at a huge cost savings
- Transferring over 6MM users, 18MM images, 17.7MM articles, and 0.5 Petabytes of video to new AWS servers
Additional Project Tasks Included
- Complete redesign of web and mobile (anonymous front-end and secured back-end)
- Extensive social platform integration (Facebook, Disqus, Twitter, Instagram)
- Ad server customization (DFP, AdTech, LiveIntent, Taboola, SailThru)
- Increasing ad revenue by introducing new ad unit space, refining existing UX to provide a better ad experience and adding on the ad platform integration for DoubleClick for Publishers (DFP)
- Introducing new email newsletter platform. Included migration-of existing users and transforming the way Patch users received their news. Open rates soared to 29% and click-thru rates steady at 8-11%; 2.5% above the industry standard